Wednesday 7 March 2012

Kates' friends part 6


“Well hello there.”

She looked up. “Constable Perry.”

“Coming or going?”

His grin invited a smile she didn’t really feel. “Going.” She pointed to the door.

“Oh right, so was any of it yours? They looked a good match from your description.”

She looked at the floor. “Yes they were mine.”

“Oh great.”

She looked up at him. “Walsh didn’t think so.”

“Yeah well he wouldn’t, that’s just him. We don’t usually get things back, most people just have to replace their stuff. It’s not the same.”

“Some things you can’t replace.”

He nodded. “No some things you can’t, which is why it’s so good that you got yours’ back.”

She smiled. “Except that he seems to think there’s something hinky about the fact that I did.”

His left eyebrow flicked up and down. “Yeah well he’s paid to find criminals: he needs to be suspicious of everyone and everything. I’m just glad I don’t have to be, I just have to report what I see and hear and leave it him to work the rest out. And I am therefore free to be happy that someone who thought they’d lost every sentimental thing in their place has now got it returned to them safe and sound.”

She nodded and smiled, yes and you really are aren’t you. “Well not quite yet.”

“Soon anyway.” He moved towards the outer door

It was time to leave so she followed him out.

“So, d’you get everything tidied up okay?”

“Yeah everythings’ back where it was and it was surprising how many of my things were fine. I mean some of the dvds and cds were a little scratched but basically most things are fine. Not so for my neighbours I think.”

His smile disappeared. “Couldn’t say.”

No of course not, police business and all that. “Sorry...I”

“So which way are you headed? Homeward?”

“Yeah I’m done for the day. All that cleaning last night has really knackered me out.”

“If you tidied everything last night I’m not surprised you’re tired, it must have taken you hours.”

“Yeah most of the night.”

He grimaced. “Blimey, I don’t think I’d have bothered.”

She laughed.

“Hey there was a lot tidy.”

“Yeah there was, I just can’t stand it when it’s messy that’s all. I’m a bit, everything has a place and everything in its’ place or else. Mess like that drives me nuts even if it means spending half the night tidying I would rather do that than wake up to it. Weird huh.”

“A little.” He frowned.

She turned towards the bus stop, not sure if to just walk off was rude.

“However did you get through work today?”

She stared at him. It wasn’t often people shocked her. He’s seen my flat, I would have thought it was obvious I don’t, well not paid anyway. “Yeah... slowly and painfully. I needed a break every half an hour to wake myself up.

He grinned. “Yeah I bet. Early night then?”

She smiled. “Yeah guess so.” She turned towards the bus stop and then faltered and turned back.

He’d turned away.

Kate shrugged and then walked off to the bus stop. What time was the next one?

Kate checked the timetable tacked to the stop and checked her watch. As predicted another 40 mins for a bus. Great, I could walk it in that time. It’s not that far. Her shoulders slumped, it was cold tonight. She started walking down the little high street; she could always stop at the next stop and catch it if she wanted. There were one or two shops and a chippy but nothing really worth looking in, especially not for 40 mins. So onward.

“Hey there, you’re not walking home are you?”

Constable Perry! Well how else am I going to get there? She put a smile on her face as she looked right and saw him riding his bike slowly next to her. “Yeah well no car, no bike...and it’s just too damn cold to stand around waiting for the next bus.”

“Yeah I guess, but it’ll take you ages to get home wouldn’t it be quicker on the bus?”

She laughed. “Not really the next one isn’t for ages and I’m a quick walker. It’s not that far.”

He frowned. “It’s miles.”

She shook her head and smiled. “It’s not that far, plus not about to freeze waiting for the bus. I just want to get home.”

He grinned. “Yeah I can see that. So do you always walk so fast?”

“No, mostly I ride my bike.”

“Arrh” He looked her up and down and then got off his bike. “So how tall are you? Five ten, five eleven?”

She stopped and turned to look at him.

He stopped and drew his bike between his legs and started fiddling with the seat post. He dropped the saddle a few inches and then tightened it up. “Here try this.”

She just stared at him.

“It’ll be faster than walking and I’m guessing you’d like that right now, being tired like you are.” He paused and held the bike out for her. “You can give it back to me when you’ve got yours’ back.” He lent the bike against him and pulled at his pocket and pulled out some keys. “Really I can do without it for a few days.”

“But why? I can walk”

He grinned. “Yeah I know but really I only live around the corner and I have several. I’ll use another one tomorrow and you haven’t got one right now. Come on take it.” He pushed the bike into her hands, the keys into one of her hands and then pulled out his notebook. He looked at her face and stopped.

“I...” Not sure what to make of his generosity she couldn’t find a word to say.

He grinned. “Here I’ll give you my number then you can give me a call when you’re done with it.” He put his head and started writing. “How’s the height?”

She started. Oh better try it. She fumbled with the handlebars and her legs were rubbery but she managed to swing her leg over. Umm it wasn’t bad, it would do for now. She fingered the keys and looked for the lock

“Right that looks okay.” He paused and looked her over once more. “Well here you are. Don’t lose it.”

She reached out for the paper. “Are you sure you can do without it?”

He nodded. “Yeah like I said I have several.”

“Not the same thing.”

He shook his head “Yeah it is. Now look after her and I’ll see you in couple of days when you get yours’ back.”

She stood still.

“Well go on then, get going.”

She shook herself pocketed the keys and his number and grasped the handlebars. “Right,” put foot to peddle and pushed off. “Thanks, are you...”

“Go, it’s fine.”

She smiled and turned her attention to joining the traffic on the road. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

She didn’t look back. She couldn’t believe that she’d just taken his bike from him. Unbelievable, how on earth had that happened but here she was with his shiny new bike speeding away and what was his first name?

“Yo watch out there!”

Whoa, she pulled the brakes hard. “Sorry.” Now was not the time for thinking about that.

The journey home was swift not just because she was riding a bike but also she was in the mood to motor. She pulled in at road and jumped off way before her building to avoid getting stuck amongst the parked cars.

“Whoa new bike, that was quick I didn’t think you’d replace it just like that. Nice.”

Kate groaned.

“So where’d you get it? Looks good.”

She pulled it onto the pavement and started walking.

“Hey come on, do tell. I could do with a new bike.”

Kate looked skyward and groaned again. Now was not the time. “It’s not mine. I just borrowed it for a bit.”

“Oh who from?”

She dodged around some kids walking home.

“So why the big secret?”

“You don’t know him?” She walked faster as she approached her building.

“oooww like that is it?”

“Sorry look I’m just tired. It’s been a long day. It was just the copper from yesterday.”

“Oooh really. So what’s he like and why‘s he loaning his bike to you then?”

Kate stopped. “He’s nice, and generous.”

“Yeah sure he is.”

She sighed. “Yes.”

“Sorry, of course he is. He’s not after anything at all is he?”

Oh don’t do this, it’s just a bike.

“So he in no way checked you out and decided that this was a good way to butter you up. Helpless in need of a big man to help you, oh yeah ‘course not”

“He just didn’t want me walking home in the cold that’s all.”

“Well at least you’re not telling me he’s not like that.”

“Look just give it a rest. Not all men are like my dad, or my brother. They’re not all bastards who don’t give a fuck who they hurt. He’s just loaned me his bike so that I could get about a bit better while mine’s at the police station. Right well I’m off in.” Kate shouldered the bike and pushed through the door and on up the stairs. Halfway she was stopped by a couple of kids sat on the steps. She waited hoping that Andrea wouldn’t catch her up as they got up. Come on hurry it up. Safely past she slid the bike off her shoulder and unlocked her door. A quick backwards glance showed that she hadn’t followed yippee. She shut the door behind her and parked the bike against the wall and slumped against the door. Today had been a long day and now all she wanted to do was lie down and sleep. She dragged herself to the sofa and sat down. She lay her head back and closed her eyes, her head was buzzing and quite audibly too. A little bit of peace would be nice right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment